The Manager, Communications supports the Vice President of Communications with all internal and external marketing communications initiatives that raise awareness for Challenger Center’s mission and overall brand. S/he manages the organization’s social media presence, maintains media list, drafts a variety of marketing and PR materials, and support the Vice President of Communications with both local and national initiatives. S/he works with members of the Development and Partnerships, Education and Community Engagement teams to ensure all activities are on brand.
Description of Duties:
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Public Relations, Media Relations and Marketing
- Identify media relations strategies, including pitch angles and story ideas, to garner positive media coverage for new products and programs and Challenger Learning Centers. Write press releases, media alerts, pitches, and fact sheets. Maintain database of media contacts, updating regularly.
- Play central role in pitching media and managing requests, facilitating interviews and developing talking points.
- Actively monitor, track and circulate relevant media coverage.
- Manage social media presence – Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn (as directed), including drafting content, managing calendars, and creating analytics reports to present to VP of Communications and other senior leaders.
- In coordination with Development and Partnership Department, manage the execution of a quarterly plan for communications to various audiences via mail, email, and social media.
- Develop email campaign content ideas, write content, and ensure emails are delivered on time. Track and report success of campaigns, suggesting new strategies to increase open rates, readership, and engagement.
- Write blog posts and website content to ensure regular monthly updates.
- Complete submissions for external speaking opportunities and event participation for Challenger Center leadership.
- Write speeches/presentations, including slide creation, for leadership as requested.
- Manage database of alumni to feature in newsletters, emails, and online. Manage relationships with these alumni.
- Manage production of events (briefings, conferences, etc.).
- Mange video and photography shoots, from pre-planning to final deliverables.
- Manage organization’s style guide, creating strategies for updates and rollout as needed.
- Recommend to Challenger Learning Centers best practices and strategies for media relations and social media.
- Serve as a final proofread and fact-check for other teams.
- Support the development of annual department plans and goals. Execute on plans to meet goals.
- Create and manage program/project budgets and timelines. Assist in development of annual budget(s) as requested.
- Develop and manage smaller scale projects. This includes managing budgets and timelines; ensuring deliverables are completed on time; and coordinating with other teams as needed.
- As required, draft reporting documents for key stakeholders, including the board of directors and grantors/funders. Collect information and appropriate data from appropriate teams. Ensure reports are accurate and on time.
- Work with outside contractors/vendors as directed.
- Maintain contacts and emails in Challenger Center’s database.
- Represent Challenger Center at conferences, meetings and special events, as requested (participant/attendee).
- Keep abreast of relevant industry trends and best practices in STEM education, education technology, nonprofit, etc. and share knowledge with others.
- Identify and share funding and partnership opportunities and assist with proposal as needed.
- Attend staff meetings, assist with office support, participate in professional networking, and team building activities. Support other administrative duties as needed.
- Submit accounting and original receipts to Accounting Department each month on or before the due date
- Accurately report time spent on projects, PTO, sick, etc. on time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-5+ years of relevant communications/PR experience (preferably nonprofit or agency experience).
- Strong writing skills with the ability to draft and edit documents and presentations.
- Strong computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint.
- Experience with WordPress; HTML / coding knowledge a plus.
- Experience with email marketing databases such as Bloomerang, Constant Contact and/or MailChimp.
- Understand and experience managing social media, specifically Facebook and Twitter.
- Graphic design and/or video editing experience is a plus.
- Self-motivated and proactive.
- Strong commitment to Challenger Center mission and strategy.
- Ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Challenger Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
E-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Only applicants who submit all of the requirements will be considered. Due to the number of applicants for this position, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.